EDEN Aid - OUR ONGOING PROJECTS
KALAMINO, Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia
Kalamino is a high school for gifted students in the Tigray region of Ethiopia.
The school is part of a local organization called TDA (Tigray Development Association). The students are chosen for the school on the basis of very strict criteria of excellence. They are gathered from throughout the region, and attend within the framework of a boarding school. The tuition is progressive, based on the financial capabilities of each family, and the majority of the students receive scholarships from the Association.
In the Kalamino school there are 400 pupils , who concentrate mainly on the study of science and technology.
The main source of income for the day-to-day maintenance of the school is the farm located right next to it. Local people work on the farm, using traditional old-fashioned methods.
THE GOALS OF THE PROJECT:
A) Improving the profitability of the farm adjacent to the Kalamino school for gifted students.
B) Creating an educational center for advanced agricultural techniques for the entire area, using the staff of the school as a basis of information.
C) Supplying materials , such as seedlings, compost and animal feed, to farmers in the area as an additional source of income.
D) Improving the image of Israel.
1) To devise a plan together with experts in agricultural crop and animal husbandry from Kibbutz YOTVATA.
2) To enlist volunteers from YOTVATA and other kibbutzim in the area and from the kibbutz movement to accompany to work on the farm.
3) To inculcate advanced agricultural techniques.
1) Increasing the productivity of the dairy farm.
2) Increasing income from agricultural crops.
3) Developing the farm into an educational center for farmers in the region.